Monday, May 12, 2008

There's nothing you can do if you're too scared to try


Last year...
I had the most beautiful little boy in my Sunday School/ nursery class at church.


He is incredibly smart, has the most beautiful green eyes, hates wearing his shoes, and has a little teddy bear shaped sippy cup that goes everywhere he does.


He also has Down's Syndrome.


For months, I stood back and watched him as he tried so hard to get his clumsy feet, legs, and hands to work for him... not against him.


Months and months went by and he continued to struggle. He became a better walker... He graduated from his high chair to a regular chair... He got better at using his hands... but he just couldn't quite get past whatever it was that was keeping him from being able to climb.


Until one day, Charlie learned how to climb.


Tears filled my eyes and one slipped down my cheek as he finally - FINALLY, was able to climb up on top of his chair. He stood as tall as he could, looked around the room, turned in half a circle and then threw both of his sweet chubby arms above his head.


I sent up a prayer of thanks as I sat behind him making sure he wouldn't fall.


Charlie can climb.


For months he couldn't do it... but he never gave up.


He triumphed and I couldn't have been happier... I wanted to throw him a party right there on the spot...

Because Charlie did it. He made it!

Later that night...I realized how we could all learn from my little friend Charlie.


I had Charlie in my class for nearly a year and every Sunday morning he greeted me with a big smile.

He was always so sweet to the other kids.

He always reached out to others.

And he never - ever gave up.

Even though he had every reason to.

Even though we would probably tell him it was okay for him to.

But Charlie didn't care.

Charlie never gave up on life...

Charlie was never too scared.

I don't understand how as believers we walk around without joy.

I don't know how we treat others - especially our brothers and sisters in Christ - so badly.

I don't know how it is that we so rarely reach out of our comfort zone and toward others.

I don't understand how we give up so easily even though we have absolutely NO reason to...

I don't understand what we're so scared of...

I feel the fear too sometimes...

Sometimes I'm so scared that I will fail, that nobody will like me, that I won't be good enough, that I will let someone down... or more importantly that I will let God down, that the fear nearly strangles the life out of me...

... It nearly paralyzes me sometimes...

But even still, I don't understand where it comes from.

And I don't know why it is that we don't reach farther, try harder, and dream bigger than anyone else... We already know the end of our fairy tale. We already know what Christ has promised us. We already know where we belond, who we are, and to Whom we belong...

So why don't we act like we know?!

Why do we act like we don't have an abundant life promised to us... Why do we act like we have something to fear when we're told that we're called to Fear the Lord our God and that's it...

Why do we act like we will have one million tomorrows, when we are told to live for today... for this moment... for this second... for this breath?

Why don't we all live a little more like Charlie...?

Charlie was and continues to be considered 'rejected' by the World, and so was our Savior... He continued to fight even when people told him no... Just like Our Beloved... He didn't fear anything... Just like our Abba... and he triumphed... Just like our Father.

Why don't we all live a little more like Charlie, and a lot more like Christ.

... that day Charlie reminded me that there is nothing I can do if I'm too scared to try... nothing I can become if I'm not willing to work... nothing I can overcome if I'm trying on my own strength and not on His.

0 comments: